Inaugural Conference: Tourism - Passport to Peace
The Australia Chapter of the International Institute for Peace through Tourism will hold its inaugural conference at the Avillion Hotel in Sydney, on Saturday, 29 March 2003. A broad range of topics relating to "peace through tourism" will be presented and discussed under the conference theme: Tourism - Passport to Peace.
IIPT Founder and President, Louis D'Amore, will travel to Australia to attend this Conference and to report on the Second Global Summit on Peace through Tourism, held recently in Geneva, Switzerland. Tourism New South Wales are the major sponsor for this first conference organised by IIPT (Australia) Inc. IIPT is a non-political, not-for-profit organization dedicated to fostering and facilitating tourism initiatives which contribute to international understanding and cooperation, an improved quality of environment, the preservation of heritage, and poverty reduction; and through these initiatives, help bring about a more peaceful and sustainable world. IIPT has organised three international conferences (Vancouver, Montreal, Glasgow) and two global summits (Amman, Geneva). The Australian Chapter, incorporated in 2001, is the first IIPT regional chapter to be formed.
topics for this Australian Conference are:
· Cultural sensitivity and understanding
· Role of the media in projecting images and influencing attitudes
· The peace component in travel and tourism courses and programs
· Sustainable Tourism
· How best to get the peace message to the industry
In addition to the invited speakers, the program format encourages audience participation and discussion. Invited speakers include leading industry executives, academics and IIPT members. IIPT membership is open to companies, organizations and individuals, who support IIPT's mission, and appreciate and practise IIPT's Credo of the Peaceful Traveller.
IIPT Credo of the Peaceful Traveller
Grateful for the opportunity to travel and experience the world and because peace begins with the individual, I affirm my personal responsibility and commitment to:
with an open mind and gentle heart
· Accept with grace and gratitude the diversity I encounter
· Revere and protect the natural environment which sustains all life
· Appreciate all cultures I discover
· Respect and thank my host for their welcome
· Offer my hand in friendship to everyone I meet
· Support travel services that share these views and act upon them and
· By my spirit, words and actions, encourage others to travel the world in peace.
Daphne Lowe Kelley, president of the Australia Chapter, said, "If the conference stimulates discussion and helps to increase awareness of the importance of peace through tourism to the successful operation of the travel and tourism industry, it will have been worthwhile."
Registration Forms are available from the Secretary, Faye Alexander, phone (02) 9567 1029, email firstname.lastname@example.org
Daphne Lowe Kelley, President, IIPT (Australia) Inc, GPO Box 670, Sydney NSW 2001. Phone (02) 9299 8942, Fax (02) 9290 3216, Email email@example.com